Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Mid-Autumn Festival

The sudden coldness of my daily autumn life rendered me as a hibernating squirrel staying in my room all day long every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays when I need to be in school. I just spend each day surfing the net, listening to online Philippine radio or watching streaming videos of Philippine TV programs, aside from my perpetual task of preparing for my seminar and reading literatures for my thesis.

Yet today was different. My Japanese friend, Abe-san, called me and asked me if I want to go with him in Sendai to see the full moon. In traditional Japan, people used to celebrate full moon viewing (cf. cherry blossom viewing). They have on the calendar, one year for each year, when the moon is on its fullest, brightest and biggest possible view for the whole year. Having just slacking around for a number of days already, I agreed to go.

It was so cold in Sendaitoo. I made the most stupid mistake of wearing just a thin polo shirt under a windbreaker. I felt so cold especially during the times that cold wind blew towards us.

Abe-san had this idea of going near the sea to catch the moon during its moonrise. According to him, the nearer the moon from the horizon, the bigger we can see it. We took a train from Sendai and dropped of at Tagajo Station, which is one of the many stations of the Senseki line overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

It seemed that Abe-san didn’t know the way to the sea as well. I told him not to leave me as I wouldn’t be able to go back. After around half an hour walking, we reached an area where all we could see were warehouses and we realized that we were nearing the port.

While walking he asked me if we also celebrate full moon viewing in the Philippines. I said not really but I recalled my childhood memories with my siblings whenever the moon was full, we go outside and do some singing and dancing. We even had a name for our unique event-“Night Moon”. (Justified as we can sometimes see the moon during daytime.. especially in the morning.)



We reached Sendai port just in time as the moon was rising and showing its face after being covered by thick clouds. I felt this sudden closeness to nature upon seeing the vast ocean. Should I be alone at that time, I would not hesitate spending a few more moments by the sea. Anyway, the moon was so beautiful and it was so bright. I could even see its dark spots which are the moon’s crater. Unfortunately, I don’t have a telescope to look at it closely. But I am sure many amateur astronomers out there would indulge in viewing the lunar surface.

It was then time to go back but it was already dark and Abe-san seemed to forget the way that we took to reach the port. We just relied on both of our instincts and finally, were able to reach the station after several times of feeling that we’ve lost our way.

I realized another mistake that I did for today. I shouldn’t have worn leather shoes. Should I’ve been informed that we’re about to walk that far, I would have had my rubber shoes instead. My feet felt blistered already on our way home.

On the bus, Abe-san called my attention many times to look through the window for the moon. At one instance, the moon was just there on top of us, without any obstructing cloud. The view was enchanting. I caught myself just staring at it, without thinking about any other things. Indeed, one of the best things in life is enjoying it like you don’t have anything else in mind. Both the experiences of enjoying the full moon and walking by the sea made me felt so right.

No comments: