Monday, September 11, 2006

Lackluster Star

My vacation to the Philippines last year got me hooked again to Philippine television. After depriving myself indirectly of watching tv since I started staying in the dormitory around five years ago, then working till the very late hours of the night, I certainly lost track of what's happening in showbiz and what shows had been shown on TV already.

So what I did once I came back to Japan was to get a subscription from ABS-CBN Now to view streaming videos of their selected shows online. I was able to see soap operas like Kampanerang Kuba, Gulong ng Palad, Sa Piling Mo and my latest favorite, Bituing Walang Ningning.

It was through the latter that I grew fond of its lead star, Ms. Sarah Geronimo. I knew even before I left Japan that she was getting famous in the Philippines as a very talented singer but I never knew anything beyond that. The way she portrays her character in the soap was a clear reflection of herself that made me know her better (not personally though...)

It was just a few days that I was back in Manila that we passed by a National Bookstore branch when I saw Bituing Walang Ningning's sound track on sale. I immediate urged my mom to get me one copy. She hesitated as it cost P250.00 yet I still convinced her that I had been that homesicked that I really wanted a copy. Shooking her head, my mom granted my wish.



Having the album in my hand, I thought of having it autographed by Ms. Geronimo herself. Perhaps I could go and watch ASAP on a Sunday then ask her to sign my album. A pretty tough undertaking but not that impossible. So I collaborated with one of my friends who is another Dorina fan and we planned how to get the coveted autograph.

Just a few days after acquiring the album, the same friend told me that the recording company repackaged Bituin's sound track, now including two additional tracks. I felt sorry for myself for having low E. Q. but who would have thought that the album would be repackaged? I even asked my friends if I could still go to the store where I purchased the album and have it replaced with the repackaged one. Well, that's business here in the Philippines so I must know it by heart that my request would be futile. I just resorted to hoping that I could download the additional tracks online whether legally or through P2P. (Guess how I managed to get the two tracks then...)

My friend inquired to ABS-CBN but sadly got the information that those who are planning to watch ASAP should reserve three months in advance. I thought it was so ridiculous as I only have less than two weeks before I return to Japan. Well, maybe I am a different case as I am a balikbayan but still...

I visited another friend who had worked with ABS-CBN before to get some more info and he told me that I could try my luck by falling in line before the audience gate, bring my passport and claim that I am indeed a balikbayan. Having a new light of hope on the way, I told my co-fan friend of the plan. Yet, I forgot to ask for directions how to go to the studio which was my fault, so my friend was still hesitant in going. Feeling that the only hope that I had just the day before slowly fading infront of me, I never mentioned ASAP again until me and my friend parted ways.

The following morning, the morning that I should wake up too early to line up the queue for the audience, I found myself waking up around 9 o'clock. I just accepted to myself that I should give up then. Luckily, we had too much fun the night before watching "You Are The One"'s last full show enough to make me reach home around one in the morning. So feeling less regrets, I just waited on TV for ASAP.

ASAP on that day would be such happiness for me should I be there in the live audience. Ms. Geronimo had at least three song numbers which was unlikely of the past episodes where in she was out of the country and just had taped song numbers-once for every week that she was away. Yet, I might be really blessed as there would be a mall tour, one quite near our place though after my departure for Japan. My mom and siblings suggested that they can have my album autographed and then send to me in Japan afterwards. I said that I am fervently requesting for that and requested that they take a picture of Dorina during the mall tour. That should do at least.

No comments: