Friday, September 08, 2006

Isolated from "the world"

I was so happy and excited to be back. I could see my family and could meet my friends. I prepared a detailed itinerary weeks before my departure but I was about to scrap it off as I had been locked up at home as our landline phone became unusable for three weeks. As a sad consequence, I could surf the internet at home. I, being an internet addict, suffered withdrawal symptoms the day I arrived.

I had no choice but to stay at home. I don't know all of my friends' mobile numbers but one who didn't reply a single SMS. To top it all, all of my planned errands were plagued by the intermittent rain in Metro Manila. The rain caused floods to emerge again in our little town of Obando, its neighboring cities of Kalookan, Malabon and Valenzuela, causing the agony of travelling to Monumento in Kalookan.

I resorted to use the broadband of my cousin, but unfortunately, a few minutes after he left, the connection was cut off and I could bring it back anymore. Feeling sorry for what happened, I rented internet in a computer shop at about 11:30 pm after wading all the way to the shop from our home via a road less travelled-for it was flooded by rainwater and mixed soy sauce and vinegar factory wastes. I was reminded by my mom of the lethal leptos pyrosis only to realize that I had a small cut in my toe from my last nail cutting event. Apparently, I didn't catch the disease and I was even able to write about it here.

But one thing I realized in my almost two-week isolation to "the world" was I spent time with my family alone. And it was so touching. I missed them so much so I was too happy being with them again.

I sent e-mails to my pals inviting them to our family excursion to a swimming resort. Some e-mails bounced back to me due to already non-existing users or mailboxes that already reached their quota. Hopefully, one would read my e-mail and contact me thru the mobile number that I included in the e-mail. I would just wait and see then...

No comments: