Monday, January 31, 2005

My TV Interview

I had been interviewed for a TV program on the local cable TV...

Interviewer: So you have mentioned before that you were the valedictorian during your first year to third year high school, isn't it? But can I ask you what happened when you were in fourth year high school?

Eric : Oh well, I graduated salutatorian by that time.

Interviewer: Salutatorian? That's strange. You were the consistent valedictorian for three years and then you suddenly graduated as salutatorian? How did that happened?

Eric : How can I say this? Uh-oh, I was just informed by our class adviser a few days before the graduation that I didn't make it to the valedictory position. That's it.

Interviewer: How did that happened? Was it with the grades?

Eric : Yes, actually our class adviser told me that all of them (ed.: the teachers) really regretted that I didn't make it. She told me that it had just been a matter of a very small difference in the general averages.

Interviewer: How did that happen?

Eric : Simply that when they computed the general averages, mine was a few decimals lower than that of the class valedictorian.

Interviewer: And who was the class valedictorian? Was he or she a real contender for the valedictory position?

Eric : I opt not to mention the name. Yes, he was a contender for the post. He always ranked next to me in the last two years prior to graduation.

Interviewer: Two years only? What about during the first year?

Eric : Oh, he was a transferee. He just came to the school during our second year.

Interviewer: That was really strange. You were ousted by a transferee.

Eric : Strange as it was but it was true. It happened.

Interviewer: So you mean it was just because of the grades. You mean that you didn't do well during the last year?

Eric : Of course I did well all the time. The problem at that time was I think the teachers themselves.

Interviewer: What do you mean by that?

Eric : I knew that they were playing with the grades ever since.

Interviewer: Playing with the grades? You mean altering the records, like that?

Eric : Not really altering the records. By they already did the magic even before entering the grades in the records.

Interviewer: How were you sure about that?

Eric : During that time that our class adviser informed me about it, she showed to me my grades and the grades of the class valedictorian.

Interviewer: And what did you find out?

Eric : That the class valedictorian really had the advantage over me. There was a great difference in the grades. His grades were higher than mine in almost all of the subjects.

Interviewer: But you mentioned earlier that the difference was just small...

Eric : What they did was that they combined the grades during our third year and fourth year high school, and divided the sum by two.

Interviewer: Eh? Is that so? Is that really how it was computed?

Eric : I was also surprised upon knowing that. All I know was that all that would matter would be those only during the fourth year.

(I haven't finished transcribing the interview from the video tape.)

No comments: