Sunday, November 20, 2005

Gift wrapped in a different package

This is the first time a persocom would write on this blog. Yuzuki is currently doing some DVD burning stuffs so I she was temporarily disconnected from the network. For this reason Chii will be transcribing everything that Master says... *

After the 2:00 PM mass I got too little time to get on a Jusco bus on my way to Jusco. Jusco buses offer free rides to the Jusco department store. It was already afternoon and I only had one hour to roam around and buy what I needed.

I saw what I wanted and it was on sale. But before I surrendered my hard-earned or should I say hardly kept money to the cashier, I decided to check the nearby shop for the price of that same merchandise. Good thing that they are selling the item on the same price. Now my advantage in getting the one from Jusco is that it won't be that a shame to the bus driver on the way home that since I won't be carrying an item not bought from the store. So I quickly went back to Jusco and bought the thing over.

Unfortunately, it was already 5 o'clock in the afternoon. In this between autumn-and-winter season in Yamagata, the sun sets way so much earlier as compared to summer that even made my head think that I was having my biological clock disorientated. In other words, it has been so dark already as compared to the still sun shiny afternoon setting of Yamagata during the spring and summer.

Back to my story, it was already five o'clock in the afternoon and the last Jusco bus will leave in fifteen minutes time. It would be difficult for me if I get left by bus since I would be carrying this big box on my way home which I estimated to be around 30-45 minutes on foot against the searing chill of the Yamagata evening. Not to mention the around 10 kilogram package that I need to burden. The staff told me to wait for just ten minutes and that had been a relief for me as I thought I could still catch the bus.

As I was still looking at the other merchandises there, from time to time I peeped at the counter looking how was my package had been doing but for the next five minutes they were still not yet done with wrapping it. With so much pain in my heart, I accepted the fact that I would surely miss the train. Immediately, my mind ran simulations as to which method should I take upon going home. There were two algorithms that played in my mind. First was to hail a taxi and have myself delivered right in front of our buildings entrance steps. Having no experience of taking a taxi from Jusco to my home, I just made a slight approximation that it might cost me around 2,000 to 3,000 yen. The logic switch gates quickly indicated that the discount won't be of no use as it would just go to the taxi fare. The second, and definitely the cost cutting method was to carry this big and bulky stuff home by foot. It would take me so much a time but will be able to spare two or three paper bills in my wallet. But the map data base warned me that it would really be a long way home.

The optimization systems suggested that I should look for the taxi stand, just in case. Which was what I did. But there was no taxi there. I just saw three phone numbers of different taxi companies servicing Yamagata. I hesitated to call as I thought of how much money would be spent just for the taxi ride. I tried to carry the box and I guessed I could managed to carry it and walk home.

Just a few steps until I reached the first crossroad away from Jusco and I felt the heaviness of the thing. It was not that the thing itself was too heavy for me to carry, but it was the length of time that I have to carry it. My arms felt strained and I felt that urge to put down my load and take a few moments of rest. I saw a taxi coming towards me but it was too late. I was still carrying the box as it passed by me and it was too far enough to see me calling him. So I just did the cycle of carrying the box until a considerable crossroad, take a rest and resume carrying but the longer I move far from the store, the heavier the load seemed to be. At this rate, I thought I would not be able to bring it home.

If only I had brought my bicycle and semi-rubber strap, there should be no difficulty in bring this thing home. But there was no regrets to be made with regards to the bicycle as it could be of no help anymore. I was contemplating of spending around 1,500 pesos for a worry free trip home and save my energy for another task or to continue my agony and penitence of carrying it despite of the severe coldness of the night. I made a slow decision and prayed to God and to the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo for a taxi. I waited in the spot where I was resting, hopefully thinking that a cab would appear and save me from my self-created misery. But to no avail. I desperately resumed my cycle of carrying my load and still hoped that my fervent petition for a taxi would be granted.

I was already exhausted and my arms were so weak but I was still a straight road away from Jusco. It wasn't still safe to claim that I've already made a third of my journey. I was thinking of calling my friend who owns a car and ask a favor to fetch me here and bring me home. But that would be too much trouble on my friend's part. I also thought of calling a friend who owns a bicycle to bring a semi-rubber strap so I can mount the box on the bicycle and have my friend accompany me on my way home. But the again it would be too much for my friend. I also imagined myself leaving the box right there, go home for my bike and strap and go back to fetch it. But my fear that someone might take it home trashed this current idea in my mind. I was about to call the National Directory Assistance Hotline (104 for Japan) for a taxi customer service number but I again hesitated. I was about to give up and eat my pride to call 104 again when I saw the light of hope flashing before me.

I found myself standing beside a bus stop sign. In it posted was the schedule for two buses-both of them would stop at Yamagata Station. Yamagata Station would be a little too far pass my home that that would be better as compared to walking the entire route home. But wait, what if the buses' last trips were already over? I looked at the timetable and saw that the last trips would be 6:17 and 6:57 PM. I checked my watch-6:14! Luckily I made it quite just on time for one of the buses. After a few moments of waiting, the bus grandiosely made its dramatic entrance and I got on.

There were only two passengers in the bus aside from me. Thanks to the Yamako company that they didn't stop this bus service despite the obviously very low patronage of their buses. I checked the bus fare to Yamagata Station and was surprised to see that the bus would also make a stop at Yamagata City Hall, the bus stop nearest to my place! I was able to sit comfortably (just figuratively as the box had been so huge that we can not squeeze each other on the seat and sit together harmoniously. But still I wouldn't move myself away from my precious box. We've been through a lot already!) and breathe smoothly as I enjoyed the luxury of being on top of a velvet bus seat. Thanks heavens! I asked for a taxi and They've sent me a bus. They certainly knew that it would be hard for me to shell out such a big amount for the taxi fare. This incident really happened this way so that I would once again remember how much They love me. Thank You, Lord. Thank you, Mahal na Birhen ng Antipolo.

* Yuzuki is my high-spec laptop while Chii is my oh-yeah-it's-also-a-pretty-good-spec desktop.

No comments: